layout

TRANSLATE THIS BLOG TO YOUR LANGUAGE

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Hijab: Misunderstood

Love this poem!

Misunderstood

In the world,
There are some places,
In my hometown,
Among friends and family,
Greetings abound from the lips of strangers,
This familiar sound,
I know it so well,
I turn to reply,
In the way that many else will.We are all
Connected,
By the invisible strings,
Of religion.
In the world,
There are the places,
Where I feel dark and secluded,
People stare at me
In awe
In confusion
Or plain distrust.



They believe I am
Controlled,
Uneducated,
Limited.
They believe I have,
No opinions,
No voice.
They believe that this
Is not my choice.
They think it makes me look
Oppressed.
That my daddy made me wear
It.
All they can do is look at me with
Pity,
And Fear.
They are so thankful,
That they are not me.
They say, "I would like to remain
Free."
These clothes, they preserve,
My modesty,
And chastity.
They are a shield,
Against all harm.
I force you to see me for my mind,
Not my body,
To see me for my ideas,
Not my clothes.
You will see the inner me,
but I choose,
Who sees the outer me.
This hijab,
It covers,
My body,
My heart.
It lets me walk with pride,
Tells the world of my,
Idenity.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete